05 February, 2009

Ode to the Manor Coffee Shop


Ah, the joys of West Portal Avenue! One of San Francisco's least self-aware neighborhoods. It's remarkably unchanged from the days of my childhood when my aunt or my grandmother would take my brother, my sister and me to lunch at the Manor Coffee Shop and then a matinee at the Empire Theatre (when it had one screen). If we were well-behaved, we might stop in at Shaw's for an ice cream or some chocolate. They're all still in place 40 years later. The Eezy Freezy still had a Green Stamps sign up until just a couple of years ago!
I wanted to make a special mention of the lovely folks at the Manor. It's a reliably wonderful place to stop for a bite and the staff is efficient and pleasant. The food is very much of a time when we weren't so obsessed with what we put in our bodies, which is not to say that it isn't tasty, it's just old-fashioned, un-fussy food. Stop by sometime and give it a try. It's a real "local" place, but the locals are friendly.

No comments:

Post a Comment